Brady Volpe, MSEE with Honors
Brady Volpe, President and Founder of The Volpe Firm, Inc. and Nimble-This, LLC, is involved in providing technology consulting services and products to cable and telecom operators & vendors World-Wide. Mr. Volpe has over 20 years of broadband cable and telecommunications industry experience specializing in DOCSIS, PNM (Proactive Network Maintenance), MatLab Simulation and Design, VoIP, Video, IPTV, RF, Digital Design, IP Security, EPON, FTTx, SIP, Capacity Planning, Fiber Optic Transport and all things broadband.
Prior to the Volpe Firm, Mr. Volpe was R&D Director for JDSU, a leading provider of optical products and test and measurement solutions for the communications industry, were he was responsible for the development of communications test and measurement equipment & applications across 20 worldwide design centers. Mr. Volpe was also the VP of Engineering & Technology at Sunrise Telecom where under his leadership the company brought five new platform products to market. Previously, Mr. Volpe worked with Filtronic Sigtek, Inc. as Director Technical Marketing & Sales, where he developed and drove the industry debut of a DOCSIS protocol analyzer. The first portable DOCSIS analyzer for the broadband industry capable of analyzing both the upstream and downstream DOCSIS signals. Up to that time he was Director of Engineering State College, PA and Santa Clara, CA and Site Executive of Santa Clara, CA with C‐COR Incorporated (now Arris) where he led engineering and telecommunications equipment development for all of the company’s facilities.
A highly respected speaker and industry thought leader, Mr. Volpe is a frequent presenter at domestic and International industry trade shows, conferences and regional seminars. He has published numerous articles in worldwide trade journals and authored several white papers on DOCSIS protocol and VoIP test and analysis. Mr. Volpe lends his expertise to industry associations and protocol bodies and is often sought out as an authority on DOCSIS, PacketCable, and VoIP. In addition, Mr. Volpe is a long time IEEE, SCTE and SCTE standards member. He holds patent number 7,885,195, “Test System With User Selectable Channel.” His blog located at volpefirm.com, is the industry’s most comprehensive DOCSIS tutorial and is used by a major MSO for training and educating their workforce.
Mr. Volpe earned his master’s degree in electrical engineering, graduating with Honors (4.0) from John Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in 2004. He received his bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from the Pennsylvania State University. Throughout his studies, Mr. Volpe focused on advanced telecommunications.
Publications and Public Speaking
- DOCSIS 3.1 Symposium at SCTE Cable Tech Expo – September 2014
- DOCSIS 3.1 Checklist Webinar – CED July 2014
- DOCSIS 3.1: Challenges to make DOCSIS 3.1 operational in HFC Networks – ANGACOM May 2014
- DOCSIS 3.1 Webinar - CED February 2014
- DOCSIS 3.1: Modulation Options and Impacts – Part Two – CED December 2013
- What’s Next for DOCSIS®: Modulation Options and Impacts – CED October 2013
- DOCSIS PNM DEMO – CableLabs Booth SCTE EXPO 2013
- DOCSIS PNM - Proactive Network Operations: It’s a Family Affair -DOCSIS Pre-Equalization: Vastly Powerful, Often Undervalued - SCTE EXPO 2013
- DOCSIS & Testing Best Practices in an All Digital Network – ANGACOM 2013
- Digital Home Symposium (October 2012) – SCTE CableTec Expo
- EPON, EPoC, DPoE, RFoG, DOCSIS®-Beyond the Alphabet Soup (October 2012) – SCTE CableTec Expo
- Brady is a member of the SCTE Training Instructors and Content Developers
- volpefirm blog, Technology blog
- Advanced DOCSIS 3.0 Troubleshooting(November 2011), SCTE – CableTec Expo
- DOCSIS 3.0 – What you need to know(October 2009), SCTE – CableTec Expo
- Technical need to know information on deploying DOCSIS 3.0
- Edge QAM Modulators: What, How, Why?(October, 2009), Communications Technology Magazine
- Overview of what eQAMs do, what you should look for when buying one, etc.
- The Need for Speed – DOCSIS 3.0 Downstream Bonding Issues(March 2009), Communications Technology Magazine
- Challenges a cable operator faces with D3.0 downstream isolation.
- Planning for DOCSIS 3.0 – Now!(December 2008), Cable360 Webinar
- Webinar & panel discussing how to prepare for a successful D3.0 launch
- RF to IP: The Top Most Common DOCSIS(R) Killers and How to Identify Them(June 2009), SCTE CableTec Expo
- Paper on RF and IP network impairments
- Patent #7,885,195 Test System With User Selectable Channel(02/08/2011), Patent Office
- System for selecting upstream channels on a using test equipment
- When RF and IP Clash – The Realm of DOCSIS and VoIP Troubleshooting(April 2008), CED Magazine
- How RF and IP impair Voice over IP (VoIP)
- RF & IP Field Guide v1.0(June 2007), SCTE CableTec Expo
- Field Guide for identifying RF and IP impairments
- Tests and tools heed the VoIP call(August 2006), CED Magazine
- How to troubleshoot VoIP
- Troubleshooting Voice-over-IP (VoIP) Impairments in a DOCSIS Network(June 2006), SCTE CableTec Expo
- How to troubleshoot VoIP
- Cable Modem Registration – Through the eyes of a DOCSIS Protocol Analyzer(June 2005), Communications Technology Magazine
- Using a protocol analyzer to understand cable modem registration
- Getting a Grip on DOCSIS, Network Reliability equals increased revenue(Nov 2004), CED Magazine
- Equating reliability to network profitability
- ANSI/SCTE 16 2001 (formerly IPS TP 204)(2001), SCTE / ANSI
- How to measure Hum modulation on a cable network